Sunday, November 9, 2008

Flower Power through The Poppy Appeal


Tuesday November 11, 2008 is Armistice Day and marks the 90th Anniversary of the end of World War I. On November 11, 1918 the Allied forces and Germany signed a treaty to cease hostilities on the Western Front. This was the beginning of the end and peace was soon restored to Europe (for a little while anyway). Remembrance and reflection of the Great War and its individual stories has been a dominate feature in the British media and on the streets. News anchors and pedestrians alike wear a red poppy flower with pride. It’s The Poppy Appeal campaign and this fashion trend is sweeping across all generations and genders here in the UK. The Royal British Legion is responsible for this burst of color among the grey clouds and downpour of wintery sleet that hit Glasgow this weekend. They take up the causes of the veterans of Her Majesty's Armed Forces. According to their website:”The Royal British Legion provides financial, social and emotional support to millions who have served and are currently serving in the Armed Forces, and their dependants.” The campaign is simple: make a donation and receive a poppy to wear. We have a collection bank at the Royal Scottish Academy but I made my donation with a group of servicewomen collecting in the shopping district this past weekend. I have the utmost respect for those serving in our military and those serving with our allies, like the United Kingdom. In a time where the word “honor” is often used as a punch line it fills me with hope to see so many people wearing poppies. Our soldiers past and present have made extraordinary sacrifices and I for one am humbled and eternally grateful for the lifestyle I am at liberty to live because of their sacrifices. So I’ll wear my poppy with pride this week. And I encourage you all to give pause for a moment on Tuesday, Veteran’s Day in the US, and remember those that have served and those that still serve. Consider their sacrifices and those of their families. Go Poppy Power!

Tune in next week for adventures with Chekhov's Three Sisters. And find out if my professors are okay with me choosing to play a dog. From goddess to backyard barker; oh how the mighty have fallen!
Hugs!
-m

No comments: